Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Letting them make their own decisions...

One of the hardest things I have had to learn as my children get older and that is once they turn 18, they can pretty much make their own decisions. It's harder than you think. You've been in "mommy" mode for so long, where you have control where they go, who they go with, what time they need to be home, and then all of a sudden--whoosh! They are 18 and on their own.

I remember when I was 18 and on my own, I didn't know what to do. You don't really want to ask your parent's advice, because aren't you supposed to be making your own decisions? But give me a break, you've never made ALL your decisions before.

There is no manual, there are no "how to" directions. It's just day by day. Each day you learn a little bit more and a little bit more. Will you ever know everything? I hope not. I hope we all will continue to learn. Will they ever stop needing mom's opinion? I hope not. But whatever decision my babies need to make, I hope they will think about it and think about the pros and cons of the decision. I hope they look at how it will benefit them, benefit others in their lives and if there are better options for them.

No comments: